sábado, 7 de agosto de 2021

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) — Rick Riordan





“What will people think of your ’science’ two thousand years from now? Hmm? They will call it primitive mumbo jumbo. That’s what. Oh, I love mortals-they have absolutely no sense of perspective. They think they’ve come so-o-o far. And have they?”







Synopsis:

Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse - Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he goes to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father, he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends—one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena - Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.

Opinion:

I like it, the book is funny and as it is narrated in first person is like having a conversation with Percy, it gives the feeling that you get to know him better.

I would say it is a book more for kids. There are a lot of scenes of quests and fights that seem forced. But in the end, it was entertaining and I learned a lot of words in English.

Also, I learned a lot about greek myths and the gods, a lot of things I didn't know. This is the perfect book to teach greek myths to kids (even the not so young).


Quotes:

“«But they’re stories, » I said. «They’re-myths, to explain lightning and the seasons and stuff. They’re what people believed before there was science. »
«Science! » Mr. D scoffed. «And tell me, Perseus Jackson» -I flinched when he said my real name, which I never told anybody- «what will people think of your ’science’ two thousand years from now? » Mr. D continued. «Hmm? They will call it primitive mumbo jumbo. That’s what. Oh, I love mortals-they have absolutely no sense of perspective. They think they’ve come so-o-o far. And have they, Chiron? Look at this boy and tell me. »”

“You shall go west, and face the god who has turned.
You shall find what was stolen, and see it safely returned.
You shall be betrayed by one who calls you a friend.
And you shall fail to save what matters most, in the end.”

“The dead aren’t scary. They’re just sad.”

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself. I can’t let a god take care of me … or my son.”

“I was leaving her in good hands after all. Her own.”

Score (4/5)



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario